Limpopo’s Waterberg district is one of only 500 UNESCO-recognised biosphere reserves world-wide and the only savannah biosphere reserve in existence. At Marataba Trails Lodge, you are invited to explore this mesmerising landscape—characterised by verdant plains sweeping up to meet striking rock-capped mountains—on foot, and among the Big 5, without compromising on luxury.
A 23,000ha private concession within the Marakele National Park, Marataba offers the only malaria-free Big 5 walking trails in South Africa. From the luxurious Marataba Trails Lodge, perched on a mountainside surrounded by trickling streams and with 180-degree views into Waterfall Valley, seasoned hikers embark on a range of trails covering riverine, gorge or mountain terrain and historical sites.
The lodge itself is the pinnacle of modern style designed to take its cue from, and enhance rather than compete with, the environment in every meticulous detail while offering absolute comfort. Maximising the outdoors and minimising its impact, this off-the-grid ‘Scandi-Safari’ style lodge absorbs its electricity from the sun and offers an immersive experience in nature with no cell phone reception or Wi-Fi. A maximum of 8 guests are housed in its 5 Luxury Tented Suites.
- Each Suite features a private balcony, fire place, en suite bathroom and rain dance shower
- Meals are an interactive culinary experience with Marataba’s chef who specializes in fresh, organic meals, often prepared over an open fire
- An off-the-grid digital detox
- Part of the MORE collection, upholding the high standards of the brand
- A 4-hour drive from Johannesburg plus private airstrip available for charter flights