What was once an old cattle farm west of the Kruger National Park, is now a premiere wildlife-viewing destination: Makalali Private Game Reserve. Lying in the shade of mature jackalberry trees and on the banks of the Makhutswi River is Makalali Game Lodge whose 3 camps boasting 18 Luxury Suites offer relaxation and superb service in this 26,000ha Big 5 safari destination.
Aside from its magnificent wildlife population including South Africa’s most iconic representatives, the Big 5, Makalali Private Game Reserve is also located only an hour from Hoedspruit and its airport. This puts travellers in a perfect position to explore the Kruger National Park, or to embark on a road trip across the Panorama Route – undeniably one of the most scenic landscapes in the country.
Translating to ‘place of rest’, Makalali Game Lodge is dedicated to embodying its namesake. It’s 3 private camps, Tandane, Mkhiwa, and Emtomeni, each hide 6 Luxury Suites and their own plunge pool and private deck. Each Luxury Suite has an en suite bathroom, outdoor shower, fireplace, and raised sala – a perfect place to enjoy a romantic dinner for two.
- Lodge built from natural materials found onsite and located on the banks of the Makhutswi River
- Truly African experience with its thatched spires, locally-inspired décor, and Pan African cuisine
- Each Luxury Suite has its own private sala for outdoor dining and game-viewing
- Some of the onsite amenities include babysitting services, car hire, laundry service, spa treatments, and room service
- Air transfers are available to the lodge’s own airstrip