The Waterberg region is often passed over for other more popular attractions in Namibia. With a country brimming with so many natural wonders, it can be hard to choose what to include on your itinerary. The Waterberg region should undoubtedly be included and can easily be added in when travelling from Windhoek to Etosha National Park and the Caprivi Strip.
Known as the gateway to the Waterberg region, Otjiwarongo means “beautiful place” and it certainly lives up to its namesake. It serves as a major business and shopping hub for a number of smaller towns and the surrounding farming community.
Otjiwarongo offers efficient and helpful local services. The Waterberg Plateau and its 41 000ha nature reserve supports a wide diversity of flora and fauna and has been a crucial element in the reintroduction of rare and endangered species to the area. It offers incredible hiking trails that are perfect to explore while stopping over en-route to other exciting parts of the country. Okonjima Game Reserve occupies 22 000ha of private land and is home to the AfriCat Foundation that rehabilitates cheetahs, wild dogs, hyenas and leopards. This is an excellent place to get up-close-and-personal with these magnificent carnivores. The Waterberg region is home to an array of attractions and accommodation options are varied and plentiful.
- Perfectly placed between Windhoek and Etosha National Park, be sure to spend a good couple of days exploring this area
- The pretty town of Otjiwarongo ensures the area is well serviced with modern facilities
- Explore the Waterberg Plateau nature reserve and discover wildlife and habitats that vary from Etosha National Park
- Visit the Cheetah Conservation Fund research and education centre in Otjiwarongo
- If big cats, carnivores and conservation are your thing, be sure to stop by at Okonjima Game Reserve
- Variety of accommodation options from camping through to luxury lodges