Selous Game Reserve is known as one of the largest faunal reserves on the globe and one of Africa’s largest protected areas. Located in southern Tanzania, the reserve attracts far less visitors than its northern counterparts. This—accompanied by its pristine and untouched landscapes—has earned Selous a reputation as one of Africa’s last remaining wildernesses.
Relatively undisturbed by humans, Selous’ diverse vegetation includes patches of savannah, riverine forest, and swamp that impose on the predominant miombo woodland. In turn, this diverse habitat accommodates a wide range of fauna and flora. Off-roading is permitted, allowing visitors to get up close and personal with the areas residents.
A popular pastime at Selous is extended treks through the bush with overnight options at fly-camps available along the way. Visitors will wake in the morning to decipher the animal tracks near their tents and speculate about who wandered nearby during the night. Other more permanent accommodation options are available throughout the reserve, offering game drives and water safaris along the Rufiji River. Selous Game Reserve is the perfect add-on to a Zanzibar trip with flights departing from the island and Dar es Salaam and landing in the reserve.
- Largest faunal reserve in the world and one of the continent’s largest protected areas
- Far less crowded than its northern counterparts
- Pristine and untouched landscapes—one of Africa’s last remaining wildernesses
- Off-roading is permitted in the reserve, allowing visitors to get closer to the wildlife
- Overnight trek options are available, offering an authentic safari experience
- Easily reached from Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam and a budget-friendly addition to a Tanzanian itinerary