With an endless coastline flanked by rolling mountain ranges dotted by forests and valleys punctuated with rivers and charming towns, the Garden Route is undoubtedly one of the most picturesque routes in South Africa. This stunning and verdant stretch running along the Indian Ocean between Heidelberg and Storms River is South Africa’s N2 at its best, making it an awesome destination for a self-driving trip.
Numerous Blue-Flag-status beaches dot the coastline while the Outeniqua and Tsitsikamma mountain ranges running parallel to them are overgrown with lush forests and fynbos plains. This gorgeous part of the world is rich in nature and Hiking trails, excellent Surfing for beach bums in the temperate Indian Ocean waters, bountiful waters to entice the keen angler, and idyllic coastal towns - many acting as creative hubs and boasting world-class golf courses.
Travellers can occupy themselves on hikes, with water sports, or even with extreme sports such as Bungee Jumping from the world’s highest bungee jump. Accommodation options are plentiful and guests can choose from camping sites and self-catering options to five-star hotels. The Garden Route can be conveniently accessed from both Cape Town and Port Elizabeth’s airports, or visitors can fly straight into the heart of it all with George Airport.
- The stunning Garden Route offers an array of attractions from quaint coastal towns and their Blue-Flag beaches to lush forests dotted by endless hiking trails
- The Garden Route can be easily accessed from the airports found in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, and George
- The area is a wildlife-and-nature enthusiast’s paradise where outdoor activities abound
- An array of accommodation options will suit every interest and every budget
- Thrill-seekers will also be satisfied thanks to plenty adrenaline-fuelled activities dotting the area