Carnarvon Dale once provided a safe haven for weary travellers whose paths were blocked by the flooded Bushman’s River. Today, its owners invite discerning guests to find refuge in their 1820 Settler Farmhouse and their 1907 Edwardian Top House. Located on Amakhala Game Reserve and with access to neighbouring Shamwari Game Reserve, guests can experience an authentic safari that won’t break the bank.
Meaning ‘aloe’ in Xhosa, Amakhala’s 7,500ha landscape is unsurprisingly dotted with these useful succulents, alongside the Big 5 and other mammals such as giraffe, cheetah, zebra, and numerous antelope species. Nearby attractions include Addo Elephant National Park and its elephant-back safaris as well as the 18-hole championship Bushman Sands Golf Course.
Carnarvon Dale’s 2 en-suite bedrooms found in the Edwardian Top House offer fuss-free accommodation that will have guests feeling right at home. Lunches are also served in this house, while breakfasts and dinners are enjoyed in the 1820 Settler Farmhouse. While twice-daily game drives will take up much of your time, guests can also enjoy guided bush walks along the river and refreshing dips in the swimming pool.
- The owners, Roger and Maryan Hart, are ex-history teachers and teeming with local knowledge
- South African home-style cooking also catering for vegetarians and diabetics
- Facilities available include an airport shuttle, swimming pool, Wi-Fi, credit card machine, and onsite parking
- Nearby to Addo Elephant Park, Shamwari Game Reserve, and Bushman Sands Golf Course
- Fuss-free safari experience in the Big 5 Amakhala Game Reserve