A wooden bridge extends across a ravine shrouded by rock figs and leads guests into Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge. With its foundations firmly planted in the inclining slopes of Madikwe Game Reserve’s Tweedepoort Ridge, the lodge offers magnificent views of the surrounding grassland and the ancient volcanic intrusions that dot the horizon.
Straddling the transition zone of Kalahari thornveld and lowveld bushveld, the reserve encompasses a region of great biodiversity. Madikwe boasts the Big 5 along with an array of bird species and mammals including cheetah, spotted hyena, and endangered wild dog. Guests can immerse themselves in their safari by enjoying star-gazing, birding safaris, and morning and evening game-drives.
The lodge’s 8 suites have sliding doors from their bedroom and en-suite bathroom that lead on to a private viewing deck. The main lodge’s living areas include a dining room, lounge, upper and lower deck, and a swimming pool. Buffalo Ridge is owned by the local Balete people and all staff are from the nearby Lekgophung village. Expect to enjoy engaging stories of local lore and sumptuous, locally-inspired (and locally-made) dinners around a crackling bonfire.
- Big 5, malaria-free safari experience near the border of Botswana
- Owned and staffed by the knowledgeable local community
- Located on a ridge and offering resplendent views of the savannah
- Area of exceptional bio-diversity as it is situated across a transitional zone
- A 4-hour drive from Johannesburg or a some 50 minutes flight from OR Tambo