Grootbos Nature Reserve is home to 2,500 hectares of hills and valleys littered with fynbos and shady patches of towering milkwood forests offering distant glimpses of the ocean. The reserve is also home to the five-star Grootbos Garden Lodge. One of the crowning glories of the Cape Floral Kingdom, this reserve is a perfect stopover while enjoying some of the Cape’s best-loved attractions.
Spend your morning on a 4x4 flower safari or enjoy land-based whale-watching tours before breaking for a beach picnic amid sand dunes. Nature walks abound and go hand-in-hand with cave and bird-watching tours. Take a Big 5 Marine Tour to Dyer Island or brave the waters offshore while shark-cage diving with great whites.
The Garden Lodge aptly reflects the surrounding earth and is built from timber, stone and thatch. The lodge’s Classic Suites, Luxury Suites and 2-bedroom Luxury Suites have satellite TV, en-suite bathrooms, a lounge and fireplace, along with air conditioning, tea/coffee-making facilities and a private viewing deck. The main lodge boasts a lounge, restaurant, spa, library, pool, terrace, outdoor play area with rabbits and ducks and a children’s entertainment room.
- Only two hours from Cape Town and 30 minutes from Hermanus
- Ideal stopover while exploring Cape Town, the winelands and Hermanus before heading towards the Garden Route
- On-site spa and restaurant
- Activities include wine tasting in the Hemel-en-Aarde valley, quad biking tours, beach picnics and spa treatments in the forest
- Animals in the nature reserve include various antelope species, baboons, Cape Sugarbird, caracal, honey badger and Cape Leopard