Deep into the Kaokoland, surrounded by endless wilderness, the Okahirongo Elephant Lodge basks in its secluded eco-conscious glory. Attested as being “one of the last true wilderness areas”, your stay is sure to be unrivalled.
The private conservancy, dramatic in its scenery, supports various specialised and highly evolved plant and animal species to be discovered. On walking safaris and day and night drives, look out for the desert-adapted elephant, black rhino, desert lions, giraffe, the endemic Hartmann's mountain zebra and more. Visit the nomadic Himba pastoralists of Purros and discover their ancient ways or spend time bird-watching with several endemic and near-endemic birds to be found.
The 7 en suite terracotta Chalets and 1 Presidential Suite look out over the Hoarusib River and feature an enormous circular bathtub with a view, separate indoor and outdoor showers, private decks with day beds, and are decorated in a rustic combination of earthy tones, rich colours and North African cool. The living area hosts an infinity swimming pool, open-air lounges, library, two dining rooms and a traditional boma. Collectable artworks add a subtle rhythm and the mood is a barefoot, flowing, cotton escape.
- 5-star lodge in the heart of the deserted Kaokoland with exceptional accommodation and dining
- The remoteness of this location ensures a rare peaceful and tranquil experience
- The lodge accommodates a maximum of 18 guests and provides outstanding service
- Area is home to the rare desert adapted elephant and other specialised species
- The homeland of the Himba nation whose cultural heritage is fascinating to learn about and see