Nestled betwixt two mountain ranges, the exclusive-use Tarkuni Lodge in Tswalu Reserve can be found in the semi-arid Kalahari Desert. The personal home of the Oppenheimer’s, a getaway with Tarkuni not only promises an unparalleled safari experience with only 10 vehicles permitted to explore the surrounding 110,000ha—it also includes a personal chef, host, game ranger, tracker, and private safari vehicle.
This so-called ‘green’ part of the Kalahari is a landscape of semi-arid grassland and vast open savannahs. Approximately 80 mammals, 240 bird species, and an indefinable amount of fascinating insects call this desert home. Interestingly, more butterfly species are found here than in the entirety of the British Isles! Devoid of light pollution, guests will also have an opportunity to marvel first-hand at the diamond skies of the Kalahari.
Tarkuni’s effortlessly opulent design blends seamlessly with the subtle colour palette of its surroundings. Inside, chandeliers hang from suspended tree branches above open spaces dually illuminated by crackling fireplaces. All activities—from game drives and bush walks to horseback safaris—are uniquely tailored to the preference of Tarkuni’s guests.
- 10 sumptuous Suites with outdoor walk-in showers and private salas
- Endless entertainment and relaxation areas from a fire pit and a swimming pool to indoor lounges
- No set time, schedule, or route on game drives, horseback safaris, and walks—every experience is uniquely tailored
- Personal family home of the Oppenheimer’s
- Only 10 safari vehicles permitted to roam across 110,000ha in the Kalahari