One of the most crucial aspects of any safari experience is the quality of your guide and rangers. Long after you’ve forgotten the meals you ate and the comfy beds you slept in, you’ll still be talking about the safari, the animals, your ranger and the guide.
So what’s the difference between a Ranger and a Private Guide?
Wherever you go on safari you will be allocated a Ranger who works for the particular lodge you are staying in. In the more upmarket lodges you will be allocated the same Ranger for the duration of the stay so that he can get to know you thereby ensuring that information is not repeated and that your game viewing is optimised according to your interests and previous sightings.
On an extended trip which incorporates more than one lodge or destination however, this seamless continuity can be lost as you spend time getting to know a new Ranger and repeating information. This is where a Private Guide can really add value to your experience.
A Private Guide, or host guide as they’re sometimes known, is a guide that will accompany you, whether you’re a couple, family or group, for the duration of your holiday or safari experience. They facilitate your journey and add a continuous professional dimension to your trip.
This would include everything from meeting you at the airport and booking you into your hotel, to sitting with you around the campfire and pointing out the stars.
So what are the advantages of a private guide for you?
• If you are visiting from overseas and are nervous about exploring new destinations, a Private Guide gives you complete reassurance. They’ll be with you every step of the way - an experienced host to guide you through your safari experience.
• A Private Guide facilitates the safari experience and adds a feeling of continuity so that you avoid any unnecessary repetition between lodges, thereby optimising your game viewing and wilderness experience by working in conjunction with the lodge and Rangers.
• Private Guides have diverse, specialist skills including photography, birding, astronomy, tracking and guided walking which they will share with you.
• You will always have a central person you can trust and go to with any problems or special needs.
• Our Private Guides are superb with children - they will amuse and educate your kids from start to finish and will help ease the stress of keeping the children occupied on holiday.
• Your Private Guide works in conjunction with the lodges to provide better service delivery.
• You won’t have to wait until the game drive to ask your questions and your questions need not be restricted to nature. Our Private Guides have in-depth knowledge of all the African destinations, cultures and histories. They ensure you’ll gain an in-depth, spiritual understanding of the African wilderness.
• You’ll always have a connection to Rhino Africa to ensure your satisfaction and to monitor the quality of your experience. Even in areas where there is no telephonic contact, you’ll have a Rhino Africa go-to guy.
• You’ll also have someone on hand to record your trip and take photos – they’ll compile a DVD for you at the end of your trip.
• They’ll even do a Blog for you on the Rhino Africa Blog.
Our Private Guides
You can read more about our Private Guides in the Meet the Team section.
Jon Morgan and James Kydd - Private Guides Extraordinaires!
• 17 years of guiding experience.
• Jon has fantastic knowledge of the multiple ecosystems of South and East Africa, as well as good product knowledge of many of the lodges. Jon was Head Ranger at Londolozi and was known as the guide that told the most entertaining stories and could delight the most sombre of guests.
• James is a photographic specialist guide and avid naturalist, and will appeal to both those hoping to learn and those more experienced with their cameras. James had over 40 sets of repeat request guests while at Londolozi.
Kruger National Park
The wild heart of Africa. Rugged, exhilarating and breathtaking Big 5 safaris with expert rangers.
From Camps Bay to Table Mountain and from stunning beaches to majestic winelands - Cape Town has it all.
'The Smoke that Thunders' - one of the seven Natural Wonders of the World, Vic Falls is spectacular.
Please feel free to call us at our head office.
Our office hour are from 8:30AM to 7:00PM Monday to Friday GMT+2.
+27 21 469 2600
Or call us Toll-Free:
UK: 0808 238 0044
USA: 888 2156 556
AU: 1 800 447164
IE: 1 800 947168