Sprawled across 13,500ha, Ulusaba Private Game Reserve offers luxury in its unique lodges. The Ulusaba Rock Lodge is perched on a hillside offering panoramic views of the bushveld below while the Ulusaba Safari Lodge is snugly disguised by the thriving woodland at its base. The lodge’s owner, Sir Richard Branson, has ensured that no expense has been spared in creating this African safari wonderland.
Once home to the Shangaan tribe, Ulusaba’s plains are densely populated with wildlife moving freely between Ulusaba and neighbouring Kruger National Park. The Big 5 roam in large numbers along with an array of other wildlife who often congregate around the banks of the waterhole near the lodges. Twice-daily game drives and safari walks will provide guests with ample opportunities to get acquainted with the reserve’s animal population.
The lodges are furnished with lavish Aroma Boma spas, a bush observatory ideal for marvelling at the overhanging night sky, a well-stocked wine cellar, and fully equipped gym and tennis court. Ulusaba is easily reached via the Sabi Sabi airstrip which services direct flights form O.R. Tambo and connecting flights from Cape Town and Durban. Alternatively, visitors can drive from Johannesburg within five hours.
- Sir Richard Branson’s safari retreat embraces the bushveld without sparing any luxury
- The reserve is home to the Big 5 and an abundance of other wildlife as it shares an unfenced border with the Kruger National Park
- Added luxuries include a wine cellar, spa, bush observatory, and tennis courts within the reserve
- The reserve can be reached via the Sabi Sabi airstrip located nearby which offers direct flights from O.R. Tambo and connecting flights from Cape Town and Durban
Facts and Information
Sir Richard Branson's Private Game Reserve is set in the heart of the Sabi Sand reserve on the border of the Kruger National Park in South Africa.
Most of our staff hail from the surrounding villages, therefore guests benefit from authentic South African hospitality. The Ulusaba family of 119 individuals includes some of the finest and most qualified rangers and trackers in the reserve, who guarantee the experience of a lifetime on a game drive. They delight in going the extra mile for all their guests!
Ulusaba is part of Virgin Limited Edition, Sir Richard Branson's portfolio of unique retreats.
Pride 'n Purpose at Ulusaba
Working on a non-profit basis, Pride 'n Purpose is Ulusaba's charitable arm committed to helping disadvantaged communities living adjacent to the reserve. Pride 'n Purpose's work is achieved both through the provision of basic needs, such as access to food, water and health services and by empowering communities with sustainable development initiatives.
While staying at Ulusaba, guests can go on a variety of community tours with all proceeds donated to the local community. Pride 'n Purpose is jointly funded by Virgin Limited Edition and Virgin Unite (Virgin Group's charitable arm).
The Ulusaba Philosophy
At Ulusaba, they believe that people are most effectively helped if they are empowered to help themselves. The aim is to therefore to work with and not for the people. Over 35,000 people across six communities benefit from Pride 'n Purpose.
The Aroma Boma Spa
The Aroma Boma Spas at Ulusaba's Rock and Safari Lodges are the perfect antidote to all the excitement of game drives. A whole range of treatments is available, from facials and massages through to those essential grooming rituals.
Away from the spa, you can opt to enjoy a massage in the comfort of your own room, on one of the outdoor decks, or even by the pool.
Ulusaba has had some excellent successes:
- 'Gold status in environmental and social responsibility, Travelife 2009'
- 'Forbes Traveller 400 - the world's very best hotels and resorts, 2008'
- 'Most socially responsible hotel by Virtuoso & Virtuoso life, USA 2008'
- 'Luxury Travel Reader Awards, UK 2007'
- 'Welcome Awards, South Africa, 2007'
- 'The Gold Standard List - Cond Nast Traveller, 2007'
- '5 Stars grading, South Africa, 2006 & 2007'
- 'Diners Club Magazine Certificate, Germany 2006/2007'
- 'Golden Achiever Award, South Africa 2006 & 2007'
- 'Top 100 for Conde Nast Readers Travel Awards 2006'
- 'Most Luxurious hotel in South Africa - Focus Hotel ranking, Germany 2006'