Governors’ Camp enjoys a location so enviable—along with the winding banks of the Mara River within Kenya’s Masai Mara National Reserve—that it was originally reserved for the exclusive use of the country’s colonial governors. Having set new standards for luxury tented accommodation at its inception in 1972, Governors’ continues to offer a refined experience under canvas in the magical Masai Mara.
The reserve’s open plains and big skies are the perfect backdrops for its rich wildlife, which includes the Big 5, and a staggering variety of birds. Twice-daily guided game drives in custom 4x4 vehicles are the main activity from Governors’. Hot air balloon safaris and Masai cultural visits can also be arranged adding further magical dimensions to the experience.
The 37 Luxury Tents are scattered within the riverside forest and either look out over the river or out across the open plains. With private verandahs and en-suite bathrooms featuring hot and cold water and flushing toilets, things are extremely comfortable. Sitting on the deck of the bar tent somewhere towards the end of July you may even witness the spectacle of The Great Wildebeest Migration.
- Prime position within the 150,000ha Masai Mara National Reserve in Kenya
- Formerly the old colonial governors exclusive-use camp
- Bar tent overlooks the Mara River at a frequent Great Migration crossing point
- Guided game drives, balloon safaris, and Masai cultural visits available
- Luxury tented accommodation from those who did it best, first