In the Lower Zambezi National Park, the labels ‘pristine’ and ‘unspoiled’ truly apply. Only opened to tourism in 1990, strict regulations ensure a uncrowded safari experience on land and water. Guests are assured one of Africa’s finest safaris and nowhere is this more the case than at the area’s smallest and most intimate camp – Old Mondoro.
Within this 4092km² wilderness, the landscape is populated by over 50 mammal species and 400 bird species that traverse the 120km stretch of the Zambezi river along with its islands, lagoons, and floodplains. Diverse safari activities include day and night game drives, bush walks, canoe trips, river safaris or cruises, and fishing for tiger fish.
The camp overlooks a maze of hippo-filled waters and a grove of acacia popular among elephants. The accommodation consists of low walls and natural materials under a tented roof for an open and adventurous feel, while canvas blinds rolled down at night affording security and privacy. King or single beds are draped in romantic mosquito nets while the en suite facilities include a private ‘splash tub’, open to the bush and the endless stars at night.
- Set in the unspoiled Lower Zambezi National Park by hippo-inhabited channels
- Privately owned and run by the Cummings family assuring high standards in every aspect of the safari experience
- Renowned for excellent cuisine
- Land and water based safari activities plus out-of-this-world star gazing from your chalet’s ‘splash tub’
- Sleeping only 8, this is the most intimate and remote camp in the area