The Namibian landscape unfurls in boundless open plains broken by red dunes and rugged mountains. Within this untamed land stands Kulala Desert Lodge, in the private Kulala Wilderness Reserve. The entire lodge is constructed to take in as much of its natural surroundings as possible, with its defining attraction being its private entrance into the Namib-Naukluft National Park – the largest game park in Africa – home to the frozen dunes of Sossusvlei.
The private gate on the Tsauchab River gives direct access to Sossusvlei’s clay pan and its towering, burnt-orange dunes. Nature drives and walks reveal the fascinating fauna and flora stubborn enough to survive the hyper-arid region. Soar silently in a hot-air balloon, its shadow falling on the Sesriem canyon and the skeleton-trees of Deadvlei below.
The 23 thatched and canvassed chalets – ‘Kulalas’ – are built on raised wooden platforms designed to catch the cooling breezes. Each chalet features a private veranda, en-suite bathroom, and deck on the flat rooftop. The main area comprises a comfortable lounge, indoor dining room, and bar that opens on to the wrap-around veranda which overlooks the waterhole.
- Located on the private Kulala Wilderness Reserve
- Direct access to the Namib-Naukluft National Park through a private gate on the Tsauchab River
- Nature drives and walks reveal the area’s fauna and flora
- Opt for a hot-air balloon ride, looking down on the untamed landscape
- Chalets come with a deck on the flat rooftop for sleep-outs beneath the stars