Forget the Discovery Channel. If the idea of watching a real-life wildlife documentary from the comfort of a private plunge pool sounds appealing to you, head to &Beyond’s Phinda Vlei Lodge. With 6 Thatched Suites (each with an en-suite bathroom, dressing room, and private deck) and the wilderness as its garden, this intimate safari lodge allows guests to witness herds of zebra and a sounder of warthog against the backdrop of the African bush in comfort.
The lodge’s spot on the outskirts of a grassy vlei (or wetland) in the Phinda Private Game Reserve allows close-up views of the wild: twice-daily game drives, rhino-tracking walks, and riverboat cruises along the Mzinene River are offered at no additional cost. Lions, cheetahs, elephant, buffalo, and leopards can easily be spotted.
Phinda is also a paradise for bird-watchers, with 200 water-bird species among many others. Trips to the Maputaland coastline, where you can spend the day scuba diving or swimming with sharks in the Indian Ocean, can also be arranged. After a day of adventure, indulge in Pan-African cuisine from the comfort of your private deck or on the social dining deck.
- 6 Thatched Suites tucked in the African bush, ensuring an intimate safari experience
- Game-viewing is possible from the comfort of your suite’s private plunge pool and deck
- Twice-daily game drives, rhino-tracking walks, and riverboat cruises available at no extra cost
- Scuba-diving or swimming with the sharks in the Indian Ocean can be arranged
- Tonnes of opportunities for spotting wildlife and birdlife