A locally known institution thanks to being one of the first lodges in Zanzibar, Matemwe Lodge is found on the quieter north-eastern coast of the island. With a fishing village and one of the longest stretches of beach nearby, life in this part of the world is governed by the tides. Wander between coral reefs at low tide and glide through turquoise waters in a dhow at high tide.
World-class diving and snorkelling can be enjoyed at Mnemba Island just off the coast while one of Zanzibar’s most iconic attractions—Stone Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site—can be found just one hour away. The peaceful atmosphere around Matemwe is palpable, and daily routine at the lodge revolves around seafood, massages, poolside cocktails, and mastering the exact art of hammock swinging.
Matemwe Lodge’s 12 well-appointed suites can be found on an outcrop overlooking a turquoise lagoon. Encompassed by tropical garden, each suite has a private verandah, hammock, and en suite bathroom with bathtub and walk-in shower. Dine at the open-air restaurants and enjoy a cocktail at the bar after a dip in Matemwe’s multi-level swimming pool.
- Fantastic snorkelling and diving opportunities at nearby Mnemba Island
- Open-air restaurant’s menu showcases a distinct Afro-European flavour
- Only an hour from Stone Town and little over an hour to the airport
- Walk into the ocean at low tide and enjoy sunset dhow cruises at high tide
- Near to one of the longest stretches of beach found on Zanzibar