Tanzania’s Ngorongoro Crater is a magnificent wildlife arena, filled to the brim with some of Africa’s most iconic animal species. Clinging to the rim of this ancient caldera is Ngorongoro Serena Lodge—a regular recipient of international awards and an ideal place to rest one’s head while exploring this UNESCO World Heritage Site adjacent to the Serengeti.
The Ngorongoro Crater and larger conservation area is home to approximately 25,000 large mammal species who wander the crater floor’s unique terrain of lakes, forest, and grassland. Often lauded as ‘the land that time forgot’, expect to see impressive numbers of rhino, elephant, and lion. The Serengeti—home to the Great Migration; and Olduvai Gorge, once home to the first early human species—lies adjacent to the Ngorongoro Crater.
Timbered decks link the lodge’s rooms and common areas. Each room boasts a rock-enclosed balcony and uninterrupted views of the wildlife arena below, while the main lodge has extensive viewing decks. Visit a Maasai village and marketplace, wander along the crater rim on guided nature walks, and venture along its surface on daily game drives.
- An airstrip can be found close to the lodge
- Overlooking the Ngorongoro Crater and adjacent to Olduvai Gorge and Serengeti National Park
- Amenities include a gift shop, business centre, dining room, bar, 24-hour room service, babysitting service, and child-friendly dining and entertainment options
- Each room has Wi-Fi and 24-hour room service
- Enjoy guided nature walks, safaris, picnic lunches, and visits to a Maasai village