Found just down the road from its ‘sister lodge’ Country Lodge Karatu, Bougainvillea Safari Lodge was the original establishment of local Karatu businessman Jacob Ombay and executive chef Reggie Bayo. On the outskirts of Karatu village and halfway between Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara, this lodge prides itself on offering a comfortable, home-like atmosphere with the friendly smiles and hospitality that Tanzanians are known for.
The lodge is just off the main road of the town of Karatu so you are able to walk into the village for shopping and a visit to the local market. Staff at the lodge are able to escort you to a neighbouring coffee plantation or you can take a hike in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
There are 32 large Cottages on the property with en suite bathrooms, four-poster beds draped with mosquito nets, wicker chairs set around a fireplace, and a verandah looking out on to the gardens. The main lodge is home to an indoor and outdoor dining area, lounge, plus a well-stocked curio shop. The swimming pool in the middle of the well-manicured lawns brings relief from the tropical heat.
- Locally-owned-and-run hotel in the village of Karatu with proud people providing friendly service
- Two cottages with inter-leading rooms to accommodate families
- Perfect location between Ngorongoro Crater and Lake Manyara for exploring these sites and others in the area
- Within walking distance of the village where you can do shopping, see how the local people live, or visit the craft market
- Staff will offer to accompany you to places of interest in the area