The harsh and desolate southern Kalahari Desert is blessed with a ribbon of fertile green land along the Orange River. This luscious paradise is known as the Green Kalahari, home to such natural wonders as the Augrabies Falls National Park. Within this area stands the prosperous town of Upington - the gateway to this verdant region.
The town centre is a bustling place, its wide streets lined with supermarkets. But closer to the banks of the Orange River, the noise subsides and landscaped gardens and watery views abound. The waters of the Orange River deliver most of the activities in the town and are full of people boating, fishing, and adventuring. The vineyards of the area receive the gift of water from the Orange River producing exceptional wines which can be sampled at the Orange River Wine Cellars. The Kalahari-Orange Museum is located at the mission station from which the town grew and houses an array of social and agricultural artefacts.
Between November and January, Upington is noted as being the sunniest place on the planet and even in winter the temperature averages around 25 degrees Celsius. Upington is linked to all major cities in South Africa by air, rail, and road.
- It is the ideal entry point for those wishing to explore the Green Kalahari region
- The Orange River borders the town
- The Orange River Wine Cellars house wines produced in the region
- The Kalahari-Orange Museum showcases the region’s social and agricultural artefacts
- Noted as being the sunniest place on the planet between November and January
- Linked to all major cities in South Africa by air, rail, and road; making it easy to reach