Idwala Lodge offers travellers a type of freedom that only comes with an escape to the wild. Perched on a ridge, gazing down on a dramatic valley, the lodge’s 4 free-standing Chalets accommodate only eight people - promising seclusion and an intimacy with the African bushveld like nowhere else.
The lodge is adjacent to the Lalibela Game Reserve, with no fences between the properties and full traversing rights over the 6,500ha of game-rich area. Photographers are spoiled for choice with the likes of cheetah, hippo, and plains game roaming across the grassland. The Big 5 can be spotted wandering the savannah on your twice-daily game drives while a profusion of birdlife inhabits the area. Keep an eye out for the hoopoe’s cinnamon-coloured chest among the trees.
Elevated, wooden walkways connect the luxurious private chalets, each with their own private veranda offering panoramic views, an en-suite bathroom, and king-size bed. The main lodge overlooks a watering hole frequented by free-roaming animals, while guests can indulge in a G&T at the bar, lounge by the pool, or enjoy dinner next to the roaring fireplace.
- 4 free-standing Chalets only accommodate 8 people, providing privacy and an intimacy with the bush
- Unfenced neighbour to the Lalibela Game Reserve affording superb game-viewing opportunities
- Game include the Big 5, cheetah, hippo, warthog, and a variety of plains gam
- A profusion of birdlife inhabits the area
- The lodge includes facilities such as a bar, lounge, dining room with a fireplace, and pool with scenic views