Set in the heart of Kwazulu Natal’s iconic Zululand, Mkuze Falls Private Game Reserve is one of only two private reserves in the region where visitors have the chance of spotting the Big 5. This, along with its impressive array of bird species and location on the Mkuze River, makes Mkuze the game reserve of choice when exploring the Zululand Battlefields.
The reserve boasts approximately 430 different bird species including the giant kingfisher and the fish eagle. The surrounding area is dotted with historical sites having once been sold to Piet Retief by Dingaan, brother of Shaka Zulu. The undulating hills and valleys bore witness to countless clashes between the Zulus, Boers, and British.
Visitors to Mkuze Reserve can stay at the Falls Lodge overlooking the Mkuze River and falls, consisting of 9 Thatched Chalets and the romantic Safari Suite. Both options boast private viewing desks, secluded plunge pools, outdoor showers, and en-suite bathrooms. 5 luxurious en-suite Tents tucked into the bush make up the Tented Lodge, whose private viewing decks offer sweeping views of the bush.
- One of only two private reserves in the region that has the Big 5
- Located on the banks of the Mkuze River and overlooking Mkuze Falls
- Historical sites of interest are nearby including the Zululand Battlefields
- Visitors can enjoy game drives, nature walks, and boat safaris along the river
- The reserve has an airstrip and helipad and can be reached by road