One would be forgiven for thinking that the 6km of golden sand beaches that make-up Durban’s Golden Mile was permanently sundrenched given the atmosphere of this beachgoer’s playground. On the beachfront of the Golden Mile the fun never stops as tanned sunbathers soak up the rays of the sun, surfers ride the powerful waves, and gourmands eat extravagant meals in the exotic restaurants that line the promenade.
The best way to navigate around the throngs of tourists, costume-clad sunbathers, and pleasure-seekers that crowd the promenade, is on a colourful Zulu rickshaw. The beaches that line the shore are some of the safest in the country and the temperature of the water is ideal for any time of the year. Standing at one end of the Golden Mile, uShaka Marine World – Africa’s largest marine theme park – offers a wet-and-wild experience complete with one of the world’s biggest aquariums.
Durban’s subtropical climate is warm throughout the year adding credence to the permanent summertime feel of the area. Luxury hotels and apartment complexes line the promenade ensuring visitors are never without a place to stay. The Golden Mile is also conveniently located in the middle of one of South Africa’s most exciting cities.
- As its name suggest, the Golden Mile is made up of 6km of golden sand beaches
- The promenade houses exotic restaurants, pools, waterslides, and hotels making it a pleasure seeker's paradise
- Rides on colourful Zulu rickshaws are a great way to navigate the promenade
- The beaches are some of the safest in the country
- Home to the uShaka Marine World - Africa’s largest marine theme park
- A subtropical climate and year-round warm waters create a permanent summertime atmosphere