Derived from Zulu for “peace and tranquillity”, Thula Thula Safari Lodge is the oldest private game reserve in Kwazulu Natal and provides sanctuary for Big 5 game—particularly elephant and rhino. With the area having been home to the Zulu tribe for centuries, the lodge presents a combination of Zulu history, style, and cuisine.
Thula Thula was home to the late Lawrence Anthony, conservationist and author of ‘The Elephant Whisperer’. The lodge is only two hours north of Durban and visits to the nearby Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park and Zulu villages are on offer. Game drives, bush walks, mountain biking, massages, gourmet champagne picnics, and cooking classes are also available and are unique to the lodge.
The Safari Lodge features 2 luxury open-plan suites and 6 thatched chalets, adorned with ethnic and colonial themes, each with private veranda. Experience South Africa's traditional home cooking, served either in the dining room, around the pool, on the veranda, or in the boma around the fire under a satin sky. Sip exotic cocktails at the Marula Bar, or laze in the thatched lapa as game pass by the waterhole. Activities go far beyond just wildlife viewing at Thula Thula. There are therapeutic massages, visits to the local rural Zulu village and the Hluhluwe–Imfolozi Game Reserve, cruises on the St. Lucia Estuary to view hippos and crocodiles, French cuisine cooking classes and champagne picnic lunches in the bush.
- The oldest private game reserve in KwaZulu-Natal—home to Big 5 game
- Only two hours from Durban—close to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park and Zulu villages
- 2 luxury open-plan suites and 6 thatched chalets of ethnic/colonial comfort
- Game drives, bush walks, mountain biking, massages, gourmet picnics, cooking classes, and traditional cuisine
- Focus on the conservation of indigenous and endangered species