Situated opposite Spioenkop Dam and Nature Reserve, Spion Kop Lodge is a restored homestead situated on a 700ha game farm which was once the site of one of the most dramatic battles of the South African War. Guests can take in the region’s natural beauty and embark on fascinating tours of historical battlefields under the knowledgeable guidance of owner Raymond or his son Alastair.
The Lodge’s Battlefield Experience tour runs over 3 days and takes in Mount Alice, the Spion Kop Battlefield, Tugela Heights and the Ladysmith Museum along with other notable sights. Tread the same ground as Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi and General Louis Botha once did, and choose to travel between sites on horseback or in the comfort of an air-conditioned vehicle. In addition, you can take in the birds, wildlife and spectacular scenery of the area all set against the backdrop of the distant Drakensberg.
The beautifully restored turn of the century farmhouse boasts 8 Double En Suite Rooms while 2 self-catering Cottages have 2 bedrooms, a lounge, kitchen and braai facilities. Acacia Cottage additionally features and an extra, small room suitable for a child.
- Informative battlefield tours conducted by the owner Raymond or his son Alastair
- Full board and self-catering accommodation options
- Dining room with sweeping views, cosy pub, a library and a swimming pool
- Opposite Spioenkop Dam and Nature Reserve
- Activities in the area include game viewing, boat cruises, hiking and even golf nearby