Immerse yourself in a history of triumph, bloodshed and bravery that permeates throughout the Battlefields of Kwazulu Natal while staying at Rorke’s Drift Lodge. Leaning against the inclines of Sinqindi Mountain and proffering breathtaking views of Zululand, the lodge is located on an expansive property dotted with wildlife and acting as a perfect fuss-free base for visitors to the region.
The Battle of Rorke’s Drift took place on the lodge’s property in 1879, while the iconic Anglo-Boer War was fought a mere stone’s throw away some two decades later. Wildlife also flourishes in this region, and naturally occurring species include black back jackals, porcupine, reedbuck, and several members of the cat family from lynx to the very rare leopard.
Each unit at Rorke’s Drift Lodge has its own open-plan lounge, dining room, kitchenette, bedroom, and en suite bathroom. Impala and hornbill breeding groups have been seen on the property over the past few years, making for excellent game viewing while guests can venture further afield with battlefield tours and safaris on horseback. Self-catering and B&B rates are available.
- The Battle of Rorke’s Drift was fought on the property in 1879
- Easy access to the surrounding Battlefields
- Over 120 different bird species have been documented in the area along with an array of other wildlife
- Activities include battlefield tours & horseback riding safaris
- Comfortable & fuss-free accommodation in units with open-plan lounges, kitchenettes, dining areas, and a bedroom and en suite bathroom