The Kruger National Park is known as much for its prolific wildlife population as its tourist-crowded roads. Thornybush Shumbalala Lodge in the neighbouring Thornybush Game Reserve has all the pros that come with Kruger – but none of the cons. Thornybush offers a more private safari experience with the added benefit of guests being able to off-road and embark on night drives in pursuit of wildlife.
The 14,000 hectare Thornybush Private Game Reserve has an exceptional wildlife population. Stalk lion prides, observe playful elephants spraying themselves at the watering hole and try spot the artful cheetah as it lopes camouflaged, amid tall grass. Night drives in Thornybush may reveal the reserve’s nocturnal residents – among them the honey badger, aardvark and caracal.
Enjoy a Shumbalala breakfast on the verandah, have late-afternoon tea on the viewing deck above the water hole or sip an apéritif around the boma’s fire in the evening. Retreat to the lodge’s en-suite Superior Suites, boasting a lounge and private viewing deck or treat yourself to a stay in the exquisite Presidential Suite – home to an exclusive lounge and dining room and private boma and plunge pool.
- A luxurious getaway in the Thornybush Game Reserve, part of the Greater Kruger Area and home to the Big 5
- 14,000 hectares of unspoiled wilderness devoid of the tourists that flock to Kruger
- Enjoy game-drives, night drives, bush walks and 5-course dinners
- The reserve is 50km from Hoedspruit and 5hr from Johannesburg
- Daily flights arrive in Hoedspruit airport from OR Tambo. Private planes land at Thornybush’s airstrip