Despite its proximity to Cape Town, the quaint town of Touws River is free from the hustle and bustle of Capetonians rushing off to spend a weekend away. What remains is a scenic, Little Karoo-fringed town at the summit of the striking Hex River Pass’s green mountainside. Here visitors can truly savor the peace and beauty of the natural surroundings.
Located along the national flower route, Touws River is ablaze with bursts of colour during spring when the Karoo flowers make their spectacular appearance. Somewhat surprisingly for such a humble town, it also offers a Big 5 experience at the nearby Aquila Nature Reserve. Remnants of the town’s past as a railway centre dot the area, including the well-preserved old steam engines on display at the open-air museum.
‘Touws’ means ‘gate’ in the Hottentot language and this can’t be more befitting for this town, as it acts as the gateway to Route 62 – one of the longest wine routes in the world – and the Little Karoo. Touws River is also easy to reach and only a short two hours’ drive from Cape Town.
- Despite its proximity to Cape Town, the town is free from Capetonians rushing off to spend a weekend away
- Scenic location at the summit of the Hex River Pass
- Located on the national flower route
- An open-air museum preserves old steam engines - a reminder of the town’s past as a railway centre
- Gateway to Route 62 and the Little Karoo
- Aquila Nature Reserve is only 10 minutes away and offers a luxurious Big 5 experience