Aquila Nature Reserve offers a luxurious, malaria-free Big 5 safari experience in the Little Karoo, less than a two hours’ drive from Cape Town. Named after the rare and endangered black eagle, the reserve covers 10,000ha of rivers, mountains, gorges, and three biomes of vegetation. Lying on the national flower route, Aquila is also a floral paradise awash in fynbos and prone to stunning bursts of colourful flower displays.
Aquila has gone through great efforts to reintroduce wildlife back into the area, allowing guests the opportunity to see the Big 5 up close and personal in the wild. To view the spectacular wildlife visitors can go on a traditional safari or alternatively gallop through the plains on horseback or speed off in a cloud of dust on quadbikes.
Due to its proximity to Cape Town, Aquila has been rated as one of the best places to go on a day trip from the city. To make this trip truly remarkable, visitors can fly in from Cape Town by helicopter over the Hex River Mountains. Four-star accommodation is on offer at the reserve in a variety of Luxury Chalets. Along with its conservation, the reserve also participates in community upliftment.
- Offers a Big 5 safari experience in a malaria-free environment
- Less than a two hours’ drive from Cape Town making it one of the Mother City’s best day trip experiences
- On the national flower route and enjoys colourful bursts of flowers in spring
- Aquila has reintroduced wildlife back into the area in an effort to educate people and provide sanctuary for animals
- Exploring on horseback or quad bike offers an exciting alternative to the traditional safari
- A variety of luxury Chalets provide four-star accommodation