The waves of Walker Bay lap the shore and jagged rocks below Birkenhead Villa. The sumptuous couches of the patio lead on to manicured lawns, a boardwalk, shimmering pool and elevated view point – the perfect place from which to enjoy uninterrupted views of migrating whales in South Africa’s whale-watching capital, Hermanus.
With its cliff walk running the length of the town, quaint seaside charm radiating from every café and boutique, as well as nearby wine farms and nature reserves, visitors to Hermanus will undoubtedly want to extend their stay. The town is a mere 90 minutes drive from Cape Town and 30 minutes from Gansbaai (where thrill seekers can cage dive with forbidding great white sharks). Summertime is spent enjoying pristine beaches, the winter months bring vast pods of whales and springtime showcases the Cape’s extraordinary colour palette.
Birkenhead Villa’s modern aesthetic combines beach house charm with polished elegance. Its 5 en-suite Suites are refinement personified while its walls are decorated with pieces by celebrated local artists. All meals, beverages, laundry requirements and a shuttle to and from town are included in the villa’s rates.
- All rooms have satellite TV, DVD player and minibar, as well as either see-facing or mountain views
- Access to the neighbouring gym and spa
- Fernkloof Nature Reserve offers hiking trails and the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley has a number of wine farms
- Family-friendly accommodation with kids activities, babysitters and a chef who will cater for food preferences
- 90 minutes from Cape Town’s airport and 30 minutes from Gansbaai’s shark-cage diving activities