Oudtshoorn, found in the heart of the Klein Karoo, is the ostrich capital of the world, and so it would be fitting to stay on an ostrich farm while there, wouldn’t it? Welcome to Mooiplaas Guesthouse, a 4-star working ostrich farm under an hour from George Airport, next to Highgate Ostrich Show Farm, and mere minutes from the centre of Oudtshoorn.
Ostriches aren’t the only attraction to be found here. The town of Oudtshoorn rests between two of South Africa’s most prolific self-drive routes: the Garden Route and Route 62, making it a great stop for independent travellers along the way. It’s also home to the 20-million-year-old Cango Caves, an extensive tunnel of underground chambers that reach some 4km into the foothills of the Swartberg mountains.
Mooiplaas Guesthouse accommodates guests in its 21 Luxury Double/Twin Suites (some with kitchenettes), five Family Suites, and three Superior/Honeymoon Suites. Guests can enjoy guided tours around the farm and some well-deserved pampering at the spa. Delicious farmhouse breakfasts are served every morning and 4-course dinners filled with true Karoo flavour are available on request.
- Ostrich capital of the world in the heart of the Klein Karoo
- Visit the Cango Caves – 20-million-years-old and a great natural wonder
- Venture along the Swartberg Mountains and its three spectacular passes
- Embark on a tour of the working ostrich farm
- Homely breakfasts are included while 4-course Karoo dinners are available on request