The owner-run La Plume Guesthouse is a four-star 1902 Victorian homestead on a working ostrich and alfalfa farm in the Olifantsrivier Valley, Oudtshoorn. Tried and trusted, La Plume is one of Rhino Africa’s dearest travel partners, consistently delivering a high quality Route 62 experience.
Plan your time carefully in Oudshoorn, as there is much to do. Guests can enjoy a hot air balloon flight or visit the only meerkat conservation program in the world. Tick witnessing an ostrich off your bucket list at a nearby ranch or discover the mystical hidden chambers of the Cango Caves. While there are plenty restaurants nearby, be sure to pre-arrange dinner at La Plume to sample Karin’s famous ostrich fillet.
The homestead’s lounge and dining room have expansive wooden floors and are adorned with Cape antiques as well as a wrap-around balcony overlooking the flat, semi-arid valley, numerous mountains and hillocks in the far distance. Keeping with the theme of the guesthouse, the 12 Rooms are home to tasteful antique pieces such as large, wooden sleigh beds, ball and claw bathtubs and crystal port decanters.
- Perfect stopover en route to or from Knysna
- Simple, antiqued rooms focus on comfort and relaxation
- Exceptionally friendly staff and hands-on owner
- Location lends itself to exploring the area and its many activities
- Elevated position affords views for miles over the flat landscape and distant mountains