Translating to ‘beautiful haven’, Schoone Oordt Country House is a charming establishment in the historic farming town of Swellendam, the third oldest settlement in South Africa. Two hours from Cape Town and a few hours from Knysna and Plettenberg Bay, it is an ideal Garden Route stopover.
At the foot of the majestic Langeberg Mountains, magnificent hiking trails are on your doorstep, along with Marloth Nature Reserve and Bontebok National Park. Further afield find De Hoop Nature Reserve, with its rich birdlife and Cape Agulhas, the southernmost tip of Africa. Small town hospitality abounds in Swellendam’s quaint restaurants, but meals at Schoone Oordt deserve special mention as they are a special affair combing traditional South African Farm fare and gourmet flair.
Accommodation consists of 2 Standard Rooms, 6 Luxury Rooms, a Family Room and a Honeymoon Suite. Each has a distinct Victorian feel with original wooden floors, ceilings and doors, coupled with quirky antique pieces to create a wonderful welcoming ambience. Decadence is tangible with 100% wool carpets, custom made Percale linen, extra-length beds, free-standing Victorian baths, fireplaces and a private patio that looks out on the immaculate garden.
- Absolutely spectacular food, a unique take on hearty farm cuisine
- The Langeberg Mountains and expertly cared for estate create a beautiful setting
- Ideal for self-drivers, en-route between Cape Town and Knysna
- Child friendly accommodation and rates available
- Nearby activities include handmade chocolate tasting, berry picking and crafts