Nestled around the base of the Langeberg mountains with one of South Africa’s national roads passing right past, Swellendam can sometimes be overlooked. Don’t be fooled – South Africa’s 3rd oldest settlement has plenty to offer and is the perfect stopover between Cape Town and the Garden Route. Augusta de Mist Country Estate, surrounded by indigenous flora, is a verdant and peaceful retreat to overnight at.
Prepare to have your senses fragrantly accosted as you make your way around the 2 hectare 1802 Dutch estate. At one time in history, Augusta de Mist was a rose farm. Here and there roses still grow amid fynbos, proteas and lavender. Enjoy the nature trails and picnic spots found in the gardens, take a dip in the pool or relax in the rocking chairs on the verandah.
There are 3 Luxury Cottages, 2 Garden Suites and 1 Family Unit on the estate’s grounds. Each one is elegantly decorated with fresh flowers and boasts complementary muscadel, tea/coffee-making facilities, a minibar, patio and fireplace. Satiate any appetite at Augusta’s African Kitchen where the varied menu has plucked inspiration from all over the continent.
- Outdoor treatment centre in the garden for massages and facials
- Estate has a swimming pool, library, herb garden, vegetable garden, fruit trees and olive orchard
- De Hoop Nature Reserve, Tradouw Pass, Bontebok National Park and Marloth Nature Reserve are nearby
- Swellendam is home to the Drostdy Museum and Wildebraam Berry Estate
- Perfect stopover between Cape Town and the Garden Route