Franschhoek is a town that finds its place between vineyards rather than the other way round. Lush vines extend as far as the eye can see before coming to a halt at the base of looming mountains dotted with rocky outcrops. The Protea Hotel is the ideal retreat from Cape Town’s busy streets and is a terrific base from which to explore the Cape Winelands.
When not hopping on and off the Franschhoek Wine Tram from vineyard to vineyard, guests can sample local fare at the numerous fine dining establishments that dot the town. Stroll through art galleries, stop by the Huguenot Memorial Museum, hike the trails of Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve, and marvel at the extensive car collection at the Franschhoek Motor Museum.
Franschhoek’s Protea Hotel is as rich in history as the town it resides in. With some parts of the building dating back to the late 17th century, guests are sure to be charmed by the Cape Dutch glamour oozing from its Junior Suite, and Standard and Deluxe Rooms. All rooms have an en-suite bathroom, satellite TV, air-conditioning, tea/coffee-making facilities, Wi-Fi, telephone, and safe.
- The hotel overlooks the surrounding vineyards and mountains
- Franschhoek is dotted with restaurants, art galleries, cheese factories, and museums
- The hotel has a swimming pool, lounge, bar, restaurant, car rental service, secure parking, and doctor on call
- The Junior Suite boasts a lounge and sleeper couch along with its bedroom
- Number of activities on offer from wine-tasting to hiking