Enclosed by an amphitheatre of mountains, Somerset West rests in the Helderberg Basin, between the bountiful Cape Winelands and False Bay’s curve of coastline. This patchwork of orchards, farmlands, and vineyards produces handcrafted wines and exquisite cuisine to delight any gourmand.
The Helderberg Nature Reserve is set on the southern slopes of the Hottentots Holland Mountains and contains over 613 plant species of which 13 are endangered. Walking trails meander through the reserve and up to the western peak, revealing the reptilian inhabitants among the dense green sugarbush and wagon trees. The Cape leopard can very rarely be seen prowling the reserve’s slopes, while grey rhebok graze the manicured lawns. The Cheetah Outreach allows visitors to see these speedy predators up-close, and learn first-hand about African wildlife.
Vergelegen Wine Estate is a world-class estate with a history spanning over 300 years. Ranging from the banks of the Lourens River to the rock faces of the Hottentots Holland Mountains, the estate produces award-winning wines, from the spicy and plum cabernet sauvignon, to the citrus and honey semillon. Indulge in a taste of Morgenster Wine & Olive Estate’s Bordeaux-style wines, followed by a tour of the thriving olive groves.
- Somerset West is a patchwork of orchards, farmlands, and vineyards set within the Helderberg Basin
- Helderberg Nature Reserve contains over 613 plant species of which 13 are endangered
- The Cheetah Outreach allows visitors to see these spotted felines up-close and learn first-hand about African wildlife
- Vergelegen Wine Estate is a world-class estate with a history spanning over 300 years
- Morgenster Wine & Olive Estate produce Bordeaux-style wines and extra virgin olive oils