There is something mystical and alluring about the lush forests and misty volcanoes and peaks of Rwanda where the mighty gorilla still roams free. Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge consists of individual cottages dotting the foothills of the towering 15,000ft volcanoes that make up the Virunga chain close to the headquarters of the Volcanoes National Park.
From this base, it is a mere 3km before intrepid explorers will find themselves within the park where Diane Fossey once conducted her inspiring research—her scientific base is even reachable on one of the treks. Other treks include those to one of the 8 gorilla families in the park, to the endemic golden monkeys, or the lovely twin lakes among others. Additional activities in the area include mountain biking trails, lake cruises, and visits to the Iby’Iwacu Cultural Village.
When you return, weary from your trek, you’ll no doubt appreciate the butler waiting to clean your gear and the fireplace in your sitting room. 6 Cottages, 1 Family Suite, and 2 Suite Cottages are discreetly spaced and feature private verandahs while the main lodge contains a cosy bar, dining room, and outside decks.
- Luxurious cottage accommodation in the Virunga foothills in Rwanda
- 2 hours’ drive on good roads from Kigali
- 3km from the Volcanoes National Park, home to 8 mountain gorilla families
- Various trekking options in the park and outdoor and cultural activities in the surrounds
- Lodge is owned by SACOLA community trust