Halfway between the capital Windhoek and the Etosha National Park, the 55,000 acre Okonjima Game Reserve has long been committed to captive carnivore rehabilitation, particularly with cheetah’s but also leopards and brown hyena that share the area. The Okonjima Bush Camp, located in the reserve’s ‘safe’ area, is the perfect place from which to enjoy all the reserve has to offer.
Okonjima, home of the AfriCat Foundation that rehabilitates cheetahs, wild dogs, hyenas and leopards, provides plenty opportunity to see these carnivores in their natural environment. Suffice to say, the big cat experience with AfriCat on Okonjima, will be a highlight of your Namibian safari.
The Camp comprises 8 African-style Chalets that enjoy complete privacy and combine earthy ochre walls and khaki-green canvas under a thatched roof. Each chalet is equipped with an en-suite bathroom, mini bar, and tea/coffee station. 180º of canvas panelling may be rolled up, bringing all the sounds and smells of the bushveld to your chalet. Overlooking a waterhole, the extensive camelthorn-shaped Lapa encompasses the reception and curio-shop, a cosy lounge with rustic fireplace, a kitchen, dining area and swimming pool.
- Good stopover en-route to Etosha National Park from Windhoek
- Private Reserve which is home to AfriCat Foundation, specializing in rehabilitative programmes for cheetah, leopard, wild dog and hyenas
- Chalets have canvas fronts that can be lifted for incredible views of the bushveld
- Well-known for their leopard and cheetah safaris
- Excellent luxury-style facilities on site