The NamibRand Nature Reserve is one of Southern Africa’s largest private nature reserves, located in south-west Namibia in the Namib Desert. Sprawled across over 200 000ha of land, the reserve shares a border with the Namib-Naukluft National Park to the west and the Nubib Mountains to the east.
The reserve was born out of Albi Brückner’s desire to extend Namibia’s desert frontiers by combining several former livestock farms to create a wildlife sanctuary for the areas inhabitants. This concern for the environment and dedication to conservation and the areas unique ecology is sustained by the eco-friendly and low-impact tourism accommodation options and activities available in the reserve.
The accommodation available in NamibRand allows guests to experience the unique splendour of the Namib Desert’s remote and stark landscape. Visitors can take a hot air balloon flight across the reserve, rest easy while spending a night under the stars and venture into the wilderness on a walking safari or game drive. The NamibRand Nature Reserve is the continent’s first Gold Tier member of the International Dark Sky Association, making it one of the best places in the world to view the night sky.
- Ideal for those looking for something more remote and unique while still enjoying the modern conveniences of luxury lodges
- The highly environmentally-conscious reserve promotes sustainable tourism
- 5-star accommodation in small, exclusive lodges with excellent facilities
- There are a number of activities available from hot-air ballooning through to sunset drives
- The diverse landscapes are home to a variety of wildlife