As the sky turns a flaming orange and the sun dips behind the horizon, you look out over the ocean from your private veranda and realise that you have arrived at one of the most romantic destinations in Africa. Ibo Island Lodge in the Quirimbas Archipelago of northern Mozambique redefines the tropical luxury retreat with idyllic beaches and endless historical treasures.
Labelled a World Heritage Site, Ibo Island is remote and still largely untouched by commercial developments, making it one of the most fascinating and enchanting islands in Africa. Century-old architectural ruins and majestic restored mansions dot the island, and multiple opportunities for adventure come in the form of sailing, diving, snorkelling, cultural tours, and island-hopping kayak safaris.
The elegant lodge encompasses original rehabilitated mansions of bygone eras, with lofty ceilings, coral and lime walls, and hand-carved doors. Each room has its own private veranda, embellished with hand-crafted furniture. Relaxation is now yours, with two swimming pools set in tropical gardens, an air-conditioned lounge and private dining room, as well as a roof terrace restaurant with open-air dining and drinks under a clear shimmering sky.
- Accommodation in century-old restored mansions that retain old-world grandeur
- A World Heritage Site that is largely unspoilt by commercial developments—explore ancient architectural ruins
- Access to some of the most remote beaches in Mozambique
- Amazing activities such as island-hopping kayak safaris, cultural tours, and ocean exploration by diving, snorkelling, and sailing
- Roof terrace restaurant for dining under the stars, serving freshly-caught seafood