Undoubtedly one of the most well-known camps within Liwonde National Park, Mvuu Camp promises a fulfilling experience in one of Malawi’s most celebrated wildlife areas. Spy hippo, crocodile, and elephant as they rest along the banks of the Shire River and enjoy an array of safari activities from game drives and nature walks to stargazing and river cruises.
Found close to the Mozambican border, wildlife in Liwonde is abundant. Expect to see impala, waterbuck, warthog, elephant, and hippo in high numbers but keep an eye out for the present, but scarcely seen, rhino, lion, and spotted hyena. Birding is one of the highlights here, with a whopping 400 of the country’s 650 bird species recorded here.
Overlooking the Shire River, this intimate camp has only 12 chalets made from stone and canvas and accommodating 34 people in total. The central dining and lounge area is flanked by two intimidating baobabs while dinners are sometimes served al fresco beneath the night sky. Guests have the convenience of choosing between full-board, self-catering or even a camping option.
- Superb location on the Shire River in a park with low visitor numbers
- Education and conference centre on hand to entertain up to 40 delegates
- Amazing birdlife, hippos, and crocodiles are found here
- Activities include river safaris, nature walks, game drives, night drives, and visits to the rhino sanctuary (on request)
- Over 400 of Malawi’s 650 bird species are found here