Just off the north-west coast of Madagascar, a cluster of small islands crowd around the big Nosy Be to form the Nosy Be Archipelago. These tropical forest-covered islands are home to stunning coral reefs lying just below crystal clear waters and metres from white sand beaches, making the archipelago the place to visit for a tropical holiday in Madagascar.
Nicknamed ‘Nosy Manitra’ or the ‘perfumed island’, Nosy Be greets its visitors with the scents of ylang ylang, coffee, cacao, and vanilla - delighting the senses. After a day spent snorkelling and sunbathing on beaches hidden in secluded coves, visitors can experience the diverse flora and fauna of Madagascar on a hike through Lobéké Nature Reserve. An adventure further afield to the smaller islands is the perfect opportunity to escape the relative bustle of the main island. Visit the lemur sanctuary on Nosy Komba and relish in world-class snorkeling on Nosy Tanikely.
The Fasrene Airport located on Nosy Be is the entryway into the archipelago and receives flights from Antananarivo’s international airport. Nosy Be spans an area of 30,000ha and features a variety of luxury accommodation. More secluded lodgings can be found on a few of the smaller islands and are accessible by boat.
- The best place in Madagascar to enjoy its tropical beaches
- Nosy Be features a variety of accommodation and beaches
- The Lobéké Nature Reserve is a great place to experience the country’s biodiversity
- The lemur sanctuary on Nosy Komba offers a personal encounter with these animals
- Nosy Tanikely offers an unparalleled snorkeling experience due to its stunning coral reefs and clear waters
- All of the smaller islands can be explored in a day trip thanks to the numerous boats available for hire