Found just 8km from the small town of Andasibe and near the Mantadia National Park entrance, Vakona Forest Lodge invites you to explore Madagascar’s lush eastern rainforests. Hear the haunting call of the endangered indri as you wind your way through a varied tapestry of vivid floral diversity.
From here the Andasibe Park, known for the indri, and the wilder Mantadia Reserve with its greater diversity of wildlife and over 100 bird species are both easily accessible. Closer at hand you will find the hotel’s own small wildlife reserve and lemur island where you can get up close with habituated groups of these endearing creatures. At the crocodile farm, though, you might want to keep your distance. Horse riding, canoeing and a games room are also on offer.
Simple but entirely suitable accommodation comprises 28 Malagasy Bungalows scattered throughout a tropical garden. Double, Triple, Twin and Family configurations are available while amenities include on suite bathrooms, safe, mini fridge, mosquito nets and small verandah. At the main lodge you can cosy up to the fireplace or relax on the verandah overlooking the forest and lake.
- Easily accessible at just 150km from Antananarivo
- Convenient access to both sections of the Andasibe Mantadia National Park
- Accommodation in simple Malagasy bungalows surrounded by topical garden
- Variety of activities from canoeing and horse-riding to swimming and bowls
- Main lodge includes restaurant, bar, small library, terrace and fireplace