Seeing a waterhole packed with elephants competing for water is usually something that requires a game drive out into the middle of nowhere. At Elephant Sands however, this spectacle is right on your doorstep thanks to a waterhole adjacent to the restaurant. This lodge in Botswana truly brings their slogan, ‘where elephants rule’, to life.
The borders of Elephant Sands are completely unfenced, allowing a variety of wildlife to wander through its grounds. Much of the water in the outlying area is salty meaning that elephants flock to the fresh water at the lodge. Hear trumpeting and the rumble of elephant feet from the comfort of your tent or embark on a game drive through the grounds of the 16,000 hectare private conservancy.
Accommodation is comprised of 10 en suite Safari Tents with views right on to the waterhole. Great views of the elephants can be enjoyed from the cool waters of a swimming pool. Keep a torch or a headlamp on hand to see if you can spot elephants rolling through the camp at night!
- A waterhole just outside the restaurant attracts many elephants, bringing life to the lodge’s slogan ‘where elephants rule’
- The 16,000 hectare private conservancy is also home to buffalo, lion and wild dog
- Wildlife roam free around the unfenced conservancy
- The elephants are known to wander through the campsite
- Great views of the elephants can be enjoyed from the swimming pool