In the area around Swakopmund visitors will find a profusion of activities and excursions on offer in the town itself and nearby attractions such as Walvis Bay and the West Coast Recreational Area. This region is an adventure-lovers paradise, offering everything from Quad Biking and Dune Boarding to sky diving and 4x4 trails. For those less inclined to frequent adrenalin spikes, enjoy introductory desert tours, catamaran cruises or slow strolls up to some of the world’s tallest sand dunes.
The main attraction in Walvis Bay is its vast lagoon. Visitors will be endlessly entertained by the array of water-based activities on offer such as dolphin cruises, catamaran trips, Sandwich Harbour tours, fishing expeditions and kayaking. Built on stilts and surrounded by water, the Raft restaurant is definitely worth a visit. Dune 7, on the outskirts of town, is the highest sand dune in the area. Enjoy stunning 360 degree views from the top and an exhilarating sand board down.
For day trippers, a visit to the Cape Cross Seal Colony offers a taste of the Skeleton Coast and a chance to view a colony of Cape Fur Seals, believed to be one of the largest in the world. The Welwitschia trail introduces visitors to one of the most fascinating desert-adapted plants, known as a ‘living fossil’ and for its ability to live for hundreds of years. The seaside town of Swakopmund is a much-loved attraction and visitors will feel right at home in this charming coastal retreat/
- This area requires, at the very least, a 2 to 3 day stopover to be enjoyed effectively
- Both inland and coastal activities on offer
- Walvis Bay Lagoon is a must-see
- Cape Cross Seal Colony can be visited on a day trip from Swakopmund
- Bird lovers paradise with water-based birds being a particular highlight
- Variety of accommodation options from self-catering to 5 star